Two girls with a passion for decor and design working together to create beautiful things! We believe in being good stewards of what the Lord has blessed us with and hope to help you fill your home with what you love!

Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring Into Easter!

Spring is one of my favorite times of year!  I love seeing the birds hopping around my yard, the little buds that start to bloom, longer days of sunlight and the fresh colors that seem to start popping out all over (we're supposed to get a nor'easter today, but we won't think about that right now!).  How can you not be cheerful!  Spring just screams "new life"!  

Spring is also the time of year that we celebrate Easter--the sacrifice of love that God gave us through His son, Jesus Christ, through His death on the cross and resurrection from the dead.  While I don't love the commercialization of this holiday, I do love the time spent with family and the traditions that bring us together.  My family has always had the tradition of dying Easter eggs, and this year, my husband and I along with my parents, had the privilege of sharing it with our foster munchkins.  While I cannot share any pictures of the kiddos enjoying the experience, I can show you the results, and they are terrific!

We always start by making the "dye"--a concoction of boiling water, food coloring and apple cider vinegar.  We made yellow, green, blue, red and purple dye for our eggs.

 
Once the dye is made, you can either jump right in and start dipping your eggs or get creative with a crayon.  We also like to combine colors to make them richer and more eye popping.  None of that shrink wrap stuff for us!
 
 
The wax from a crayon will not let the dye penetrate and can make some really cool effects on your eggs.  Here's a few of my favorites!
 
 
I also like what the dye does to the paper towels, so I took a picture.  Isn't it pretty!  I call it Easter egg tie dye!
 
 


Altogether, we created 18 Easter eggs, while having a wonderful family night of fun.  Here's our finished product!  Didn't they turn out splendiferously!
 
 
 
This is one "Blessed Nest" that is now full of eggs!  Yep, I went there!  Wishing you all a "happy Easter, happy spring, happy, happy everything!"
 
Blessings,
 
Megan
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment